Tuesday, December 23, 2014

South Park: The Stick of Truth! GOTY


The end of the year is a time for reflection...or it's just another excuse to drink and take a week off from work...but writing this blog has made me come out of my "lurker shell" a bit and contemplate things a little harder. Not just the past year, but everything up to this point and also where I'm heading in the future. I'm very, very happy to be writing about games again and using my passion to create something, instead of just going along passively.

Today, I'm going to write about my all time favorite game of 2014. The rest of the week I'll be taking off to do some more reflection and just enjoy the holiday with friends and family. When I come back though, I want to outline what I see for the future of Til Death Do We Start, and how I would like to further improve on it. So far, these past couple months have just been a test to prove to myself that I could manage a post a day...and 28 posts later (Zombies!) I'm still here with no signs of stopping. The future is exciting for this industry and myself, but it's good to look back on the past. So without further ado, here's my Game of the Year! (Spoilers duh)

South Park: The Stick of Truth  
 Wins the "Til Death Do We Start" Game of the Year award!

Giving The Stick of Truth this prestigious, much sought after award was an easy choice for me. There is just no other game that has even come close to making me smile as big or laugh as hard as this game did. And it's as simple as that...This year had some great moments in action, drama and gameplay, but none shone as bright as the comedic genius behind the first true South Park game.





There are just so many moments that stand out...for the first time being able to choose "Jew" as your character class...Accidentally giving Randy Marsh an anal probing on board a UFO...Nazi Zombie Fetus'....The worlds biggest Taco Bell...Accidentally giving Randy Marsh an abortion...8 bit Canada...the Underpants Nome fight under the throws of passion by your parents...retrieving the Snook from Mr. Slaves asshole...just so many unforgettable experiences!

The RPG elements of the game had a South Park twist to them, but were still pretty basic and repetitive. This would be a big downfall for the game, but with only about 15 hours to beat from start to finish, the game concludes without getting stale. Now you might be thinking, "a 15 hour RPG!? This is blasphemy!" But I wish more rpg developers would take the hint. Of course, we need our epic Skyrims and Dragon Ages, but does every RPG need to be overflowing with fetch quests and npc "save my wife" missions? Hell no! This is an RPG that has all the filler taken out and continuously keeps the punchlines and story rolling. Which is much appreciated. 

So, thank you and congratulations Obsidian Entertainment, Matt Stone and Trey Parker for giving us the South Park game that we, and you always wanted. I'm not sure I would hope for a sequel to this game, but if Matt and Trey were willing to put as much of their time and dedication for the sequel as they did for The Stick of Truth I would definitely like to see if they could expand on the premise successfully.   

So what's your GOTY? What's got you excited for the future in gaming?
As always, thanks for reading and I'll see you after Xmas!
Happy Holidays :)
@devoinz
devoinxyz@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment